You know I’m all about hot new bands! Well, you may recognize them from their performance on Jimmy Kimmel, I'm talking about the Salford, England native band called The Whip. I got the amazing chance to chat a little with the drummer, Lil “Fee” about her and the group. So, check out the behind the scenes interview below to learn more about this rad band.
1. Tell me a little about the band, how did you guys get started?
Bruce, Danny and Nathan all worked together in a music shop in Manchester, Bruce and Danny had already been in a previous band together and then asked Nathan to get involved in The Whip. Me and Nathan were living together at the time and Nathan suggested getting me in to play drums. We did one rehearsal in my flat and the band was born...
2. How would you describe your music?
Electronic sweat music
3. Do you have a favorite band or singer and why?
I am a massive fan of Soulwax, their album 'Nite Versions' is one of my favorite dance albums of all time. They perform the music as a 4 piece band, I've seen them twice and the show is awesome.
4. What made you want to get into music?
From an early age I have always loved listening to music and was lucky enough to be encouraged to learn an instrument by my parents, it took a while for me to find the right instrument for me, but by age 13 I had found the drums and stuck with them. I got involved playing in various bands and loved to perform, it soon became very clear that this was what I wanted to do with my life.
5. Can you tell me a little about the inspiration behind your new cd? Do you have a favorite song?
The album represents trying to move forward and believing in yourself. Personal favorite songs of mine are Save Our Soul and Trash
6. I really like the song Trash, can you tell me a little about this song?
This song is about doing what you want despite what other people think. According to Bruce this song originally had many more lyrics in it but was reworked early on into the version which is on the album.
7. I discovered your song Dubsex was on the MTV show the City, tell me a little bit about how this came about?
Ooh, I'm not sure. I would imagine this is something our wonderful label Razor and tie organized...
8. What are your plans for 2009?
Well here in the UK we have festival season fast approaching, so we will be playing those amongst other shows. We also intend to start recording our next album very soon which we are all very excited about.
9. Have you had any crazy fan moments?
Nothing too crazy, we were all shocked to see how dedicated our Japanese fans were, some came to 3 shows in a row and they would hang out outside the venue to get a photo with us. They also made us gifts, one person sent us all towels they had made us with the whip logo printed on!
10. Where can people go to learn more about your band?
11. What words of wisdom do you have for someone looking to break into the business?
Don't give up too easily, sometimes it take time to find the right thing to do. Don't take yourself too seriously - gratitude not attitude.
And for every valid web comment on this blog only we will give you a Free $5 e.l.f. coupon via email just to say thanks (1 per person, to the first 100 posts only).